This the name of the most famous topic in the main hungarian rpg site currenly. MAGUS is under attack since the first publishing. There was a lot of arguing. Thousands of rpg fans discussed the system during 17 years. The most accepted edition is the first, because it is the most simpliest. I prefer it too. But it has a lot of problem. For example the mosaic magic system, what I mentioned before. The little beginners uses it for weird spellmaking. (Magical nuke and copying similar modern technical things)
Now there is a intention to renew and begin the developing of this game, but there are too many ways and fans can't agree. Some people want to develope it to high fantasy direction, and there is the oldschool way, some want to drop the mosac magic, some want to reduce the number of the skills.
The main problem is that the fans always lost in petty arguing about economy, armies, magic. For example there is a rule, that the material magic can't affect on personal aura. (So material transformations can't use on living creatures.) This is one of the most famous arguing subject. Where is begining the aura? Who has? Etc. There is an exception: An effect of material magic can affect on living creature in indirect way. For example: Magic user make a wide dagger and with the rune oftransformation transforms it to a thin needle, when he damage with it an enemy, the rune wipes off and the transformation turns back in reversive way. And poor bastard suffers more damages. This is typical mosaic magic application. Fans developed many spells with this system. Little stone spike teleports to the front of enemy's eye and shoots it with elemental force into his eyes. You can't teleport it to the eye, because of the aura, but the elemental force helps you :)
Who are grown up with D&D want to drop this system and make unified magic system. Someone want to drop the classes, instead they would use schools. Schools have been existing in Ynev from begining, but just in the game world, not in the game sytem. In the core book for example there was just one type of warrior. (Later the developers published a book with more than 50 warrior subclasses, but it made the system too complex) Thanks God they couldn't go on this way. There were critical tables in one of supplement. So they had a several attemps to attract more fans. after the first publisher went bankrupt 2 more publisher tried to renew the system, but with few succes. There was D20 variant too for example. These days the pnp rpg is dying, so there is little chance to make profitable renewed edition. (WOW and similar games kills the hobby.) I think fans will arguing until the end of the world.
Question: What kind of rpg can attract more fans for pnp gaming?
2011. november 10., csütörtök
This is the first map of the location in my sandbox campaign: The Abandoned Valley. You can find it in the Apolisz area with number 1. Here you can read about a robber gang who are lead by a clever and mysterious warlock.
1. First floor: nothing intresting or valuable.
2. Second floor: same situation as first, the house level has been.
3. Storeroom and Cellar: At the door there are 2 guards, they often patrol in the surroundings of the house. In the storeroom there are a few empty barrel and chest, but nothing intresting. A stair leads to the lower level of the cellar.
In the cellar 1 man guarding, if he can hear some noise from the surface he runs to outhere and helps the guards. Still there isn't any valuable, just rubbish things. There is a secret door which opens a hidden corridor to the room 7. (secrett door searching difficulty:50%)
4. Robbers section: in this corridor there are rooms where the guards live. There are 10 common robbers, who guard this lair and make the robbering. 6. defend the main positions of this place and the rest of the group meanwhile are resting or robbing, sometimes they make heavy drinking and playing rude games in room 12.
There are 1-1 guard always in the first rooms.
5. Resting room: Sometimes Robbers rests here. You can find some food and 2D6 copper hidden in the doss.
6. The warlock's guardroom: One man guards this place in every minute, because the warlock is very paranoid.
7. Sanctuary: The warlock have sacrificed people since he settled here, the robbers worsip him, because he told them he is the ambassador of the dangeourus deamon princes : Sherkul. Sherkul is a fiction, the warlock made him, because he wanted to control the dumb and credulous robbers. between the guardroom and the sanctuary in the corridor there are 2 pit traps, if anyone fail the int (detection) check falls and suffers 2D6 damage. Find trap difficulty: 60%.
8: Warlock's place: The leader of the robber gang is a warlock. Nobody knows his true name, because he is a paranoid. He is a 2nd level warlock, he always stays here, exept for when he make human sacrifice or other important business in the city with Viarro. In this room there is a little laboratory and he prepares poisons and alchmist goods. He has a valuable short sword (It worth 30 gold), Poisons: (20 portion weapon p. l2, 10 portion food poisons l3, 5 portions aeril p. l6) 20 gold, 10 books about poison preparing and alchemy. Some drugs. good quality clothes. 1 rubin (50 gold)
9. Hidden corridor: There is a arrow trap in the wall where is marked with arrow. It is magical, If someone enter this corridor and doesn't tell the password ("Arrow Stop!") it shoots. Attack is 40, Damage: 1D10+D6 poison. It has 6 shots and 1 per/round.
10. Store room: Here are stored the robbery loot. A lot of good quality clothes, 10 longswords, 12 shortswords, 3 maces, 4 leather armors. 1 chain armor, 2 medium shields. 100 gold pieces. 3 silver ring, 1 gold neclace. 1 painting. 4 barrels of wine. The door is closed (difficulty: 80%) The officers and the warlock have key to open it. The other door is secret from both side (from warlock and from the store) is the difficulty is 75%.
11. Officers room: 3 Officers live here, they lead the robbering and organize the life of the gang.
12. The main room, usually it is empty, except for some tables and chairs. There is a darts table in the wall. It is like a pub. Sometimes the robbers make a heavy drinking party here.
Armor: Cloth armor (1)
Weapon: Short sword D6
Range att.: 15
Armor: leather armor (2)
Weapon: Long sword D10 or lt crossbow (D6)
Range Attack: 12
Mana point: 14
Weapon: Short sword D6 (+D3 poison)